Newbies must read! Veterans might even pick up something…
Long lines, huge crowds… You ever find yourself thinking, “What the hell did I get myself into?” at a major convention like Comic-Con? Well, you’re in luck because this guide will cover your bases to survive Comic-Con 2012.
1) Pack Light
- THE GOLDEN RULE!
- Unless you’re collecting specific freebies, drop it. It’s like the storage system in Resident Evil: You only have so much room. Every rule hereafter follows the golden rule of Comic-Con
- Take advantage of free poster tubes and plastic bags
- Recommended: Draw string bag and poster tube (if necessary) to stay hands free
2) Pack Food
- Con food is VERY EXPENSIVE! $5 bottled water, $7 pizza and so forth. Your cash (yes, carrying cash is easier) can disappear instantly.
- Pack small snacks. If you want to eat a real meal, eat outside of the convention center.
- Recommended: Small sandwiches, energy bars, your own bottled water
3) Hotel Room/Car is your locker
- Live out of your car or hotel room! Unload your goods and regroup at your car at least a couple of times to make sure you don’t carry as much.
- Prepare to dress comfortable and keep a change of clothes in your car so you stay fresh. Keep in mind, you will be spending a lot of time in one place.
- Recommended: Wear comfortable shoes, change of clothes, small cooler for food/drinks in your car.
4) Use the guide!
- Smart Con-goers will use the guide to know when they need to be in line and when they can roam exhibit hall. Also, know where those rooms are! If you fail to plan, you’re planning to fail.
- Be sure to stay cool while you’re in line. You’ll be there for a while, might as well make friends!
- CELEBRITIES ARE PEOPLE TOO! Being nice goes a long way because they are there to have fun and enjoy their day as much as you are.
- Recommendation: Look here for details. Write out all your events. Plan ahead! Be cool to celebrities/famous people.
5) GUM PLEASE!!
- THIS IS THE SECOND GOLDEN RULE!
- You don’t want to be “that guy or gal.” The kind who people don’t want to be around due to bad hygiene. Speed Stick is not expensive and a shower should be mandatory.
- Freshen up! Wash your hands and face in the bathroom when you can. Use baby wipes to wipe your neck and body.
Recommendation: GUM, Travel size toothbrush/toothpaste, travel size deodorant, travel size Fabreeze, baby wipes
And if all else fails, follow the rules from Zombieland. Veterans, I think I did justice for newbies. If there’s something missing, let me know.
Oh yeah, and good luck with parking! Parking will make or break you. So arrive early to park in a good spot and happy Comic-Con!!